Using Import and Export in Migration
By Joyce Zhou - Jun 06, 2016
Import and export are very useful when migrating changes from development to production. This article covers a few critical perspectives of using import and export during the migration process.
How to manage dimension MemberIDs?
Have any new dimension members been created in DEV?
§ If so, these members may have a specific MemberID associated with the member in DEV
§ When moving the member over to PROD, need to check if the memberID is already in use in PROD
- If no: Import the new members to PROD and ensure you preserve the MemberIDs. Please refer to this article for details.
- If yes: Import the member to Production without preserving the MemberID. Will need to double check if any forms use the member in the axis definition (row, column, filter) and make manual updates to any imported forms to ensure the correct members are used.
Images in Dashboard
Import/Export of dashboard will not contain image files. Modelers need to manually re-import any images directly to the application in PROD and re-associate the image after importing a dashboard. Currently, there is no export image functionality so you will need to original image file.
Import/export of application metadata (dimension, hierarchy, attribute, models, etc.)
- Export out the DEV application metadata to an XML file
- Export out the PROD application metadata to an XML file
- Compare the DEV and PROD export files to see has been updated/created/deleted
- If everything looks as expected, import the DEV application file directly to PROD
Please note: This is going to take all changes in DEV file and apply it to PROD. Best practice is to apply these changes manually to ensure full control of changes in PROD environment. However, using this feature can save time, but will increase testing and one will need to ensure everything in PROD still works as expected.