Fix for Login Failed Error 28000 at Deployment
By Joyce Zhou - Updated January 13, 2016
Deployment failed at the Process step. You see “OLE DB or ODBC error: Login failed for user ‘xyz’.; 28000.” error message, as shown below.
At the Process step, the SSAS server retrieves data from relational database. In order to do this, the SSAS SI credential has to have access to the SQL Server. If not, you will see this error. Following these steps to resolve this issue,
1. Identify the SSAS SI credential by looking at the Log On As in Services:
2. Open the SQL Server Management Studio, connect to the SQL Server, right click Logins node, and click New Login.
3. Create a new login for the SSAS SI credential.
4. Select Server Roles, check Sysadmin, and click OK.
5. Now you should be able to deploy your application successfully.